Birth story

I know several have wanted to know the whole birth story so yes this is a long novel but Im glad Im writing it out while I still remember it

Well Friday morning it all started about 3:30 am when I woke up and had a little trickle and thought my water just broke. Well it ended up being the very early stages of my water breaking but not officially.

Around 5 am my contractions started to get very painful but they were super far apart so I thought oh Im going back to sleep. Well by 6 am they were getting closer together Chad got up and started timing them. They were about 10-15 min apart and I called the nurse to see what to do. The doctor called me back and told me as soon as they get to 5 min for an hour to come in ASAP.

Well we got up did a few things, went to go get breakfast, took a shower and they started to get closer and closer together. By about 9 am they were about 4-9 min apart regularly for an hour.

I tried to take a little nap thinking this is it and its going to be a long night with no sleep. Well that nap never seemed to really start because I just couldnt sleep. By about noon contractions were getting really intense and Chad called the office and they told us pack our bags and come in.

Got there a little after 1 after checking and rechecking to make sure we had every little bit of everything. Got there they checked me and I was 1 cm dialated and 70% effaced. They said they will recheck me within the hour and if I had made progress I would be officially admitted.

well the next hour came and I was 2 cm and 80% effaced and the nurse said I was making good progress. They came in at that point and gave me an IV and it really hit me OMG Im really going to be a mom today or tomorrow (nurse told us with how things were progressing we would be looking at around midnight-2 am).

Well the nurse tried to find my vein to give me the IV and she popped 2 veins getting it in and then after that the anesthesiologist had to come do the IV because I guess I was a hard patient and my veins werent cooperating..haha!

After they got it in they gave me a ton of paperwork to sign my life away and we also found out that we were not allowed to take videos during delivery or still pictures of the actual delivery which I thought was strange but no biggie (I wouldnt want to see being cut wide open anyway)

They hooked me up to pitocin and after that my contractions started to get really strong and very painful. They check me not long afterwards at the next hour and I was at 3 cm and 80% effaced and then they started talking epidural but I found out that I couldnt get one until my doctor officially got there.

After that I got to 4 cm, 80% effaced, station -1 and I was in some serious pain and was telling Chad they better get that epidural in here and quick. Well time passed and it still wasnt there and I told Chad to go get the nurse and tell them I needed the epidural and now I wasnt waiting any longer. It was amazing how quickly it got there.

The epidural itself was not that bad going in at all but holding still through rough contractions was probably the toughest part by far. They anesthesiologist got it in finally and I felt like I was on cloud 9 (this was around 5:30 pm). They rechecked me and I was at 5 cm dialated, 80% effaced and station 0. This was when it all got a bit scary....

After the epidural the babys heartbeat starting to go sky high (180-190) and would not go down. My doctor (who happened to be on call that night) said that we were going to monitor it very closely. well time came and went and it went down a bit and then it went down to 80 and my blood pressure dropped to 92/38 and thats when everyone on the floor seemed to be called in to do something about it. They put oxygen on me (it helped a little but not a whole lot) for a while. Then the anesthesiologist came in and gave me something to raise my blood pressure and it helped a little but then the babys heart rate wasnt being fluctuated. At this point me and Chad were a nervous wreck it was very freaky to say the least. They finally got it regulated a little better so they let me sit and see what happened.

Well my parents got there and we chatted with them for a little bit and then not long after the nurse came in and said the babys heartbeat still was not looking good. she called my doctor she came in and said we are doing a c-section (did not give me a choice of course). She said at this point it would not be an emergency c-section which would make it a little better. Well they got me more pain medicine in the epidural, prepped me for a section and the next thing I know a little after 8 I was being wheeled into the delivery room. Talk about going from thinking I still had a few hours to being scared out of your mind-wow.

Got wheeled into the delivery room and all I could think of was Im going to feel them cut me wide open and I started feeling every little area. The anesthesiologist kind of laughed and said dont worry we are not going to start until we make sure every little area is numb. They did that and then the nurse went to get Chad (he could not be in there while they were prepping me).

Chad came in and I was out of it of course I was numb from right under my breast until my feet, it felt so weird. The pain medicine made me so sick and I told the anesthesiologist asst and he gave me some more medicine and it helped but I seriously thought I was going to puke everywhere. Chad came in and he looked like he was about to puke and I found out later that he saw me cut wide open. He put his head down behind the curtain by my head during the delivery and just listened to the anesthesiologist tell us step by step what was going on.

It wasnt very long at all we heard her first cry (oh what a sweet sound it was!) and the asst told Chad he could go shoot pictures of our little girl but I still had to be finished sewing up. He brought her over and I got to meet her for the first time and tears started streaming. The moment I had been waiting for so long I just couldnt believe she was so perfect!

He went and let Morgan meet the family and what a proud daddy he is. Here he is with the scrubs
After that I got stitched all up and then went back to the room, Here was my first moment of really getting to hold her after delivering her. I was so out of it (you can definitely tell) but I was so in love with my little angel.
After going back to recovery and staying in there for a little while I was wheeled away to our room and home for the next 3 nights.

Pictures from her visit in the hospital (posted earlier)


Jenny said...

oh i'm so glad you posted the whole story! so exciting and precious! i'm glad everything went okay!

Onna said...

What a great story! I'm glad that she's here and healthy and beautiful and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look on both of your faces when she arrived!

She's perfect in every way! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting the whole story!! i can't wait to meet her. I love reading all your daily updates, so keep it up!! I am going to need all the help I can get (: You'll be a pro by the time my boys get here!

Stacey said...

Congratulations, Amber! She is so precious. Thanks for sharing the story of her arrival with us. Hope you enjoy your sweet little girl!

Megan said...

Congratulations! She's precious!

Chrissy said...

Sounds like some scary momens there. Thank goodness she is here safe and sound and you are both doing great!

Mommy Becoming said...

I'm so happy that you have met your little Morgan and you are both in good health. Looking forward to more pictures and posts!

Kathryn and Kevin said...

Some hospitals won't let you take video or pictures because of lawsuits. If they do something wrong, they don't want you to have the proof in living color. Congratulations again!

Post a Comment

Please visit our new blog at